Photo Credit: Julia Park Photography
Connecting people is a life-long passion for Emily Mills, an award-winning senior communicator, public speaker and the founder of How She Hustles.
In 2010, Emily launched How She Hustles, a Toronto-based network that connects diverse women through social media and special events. Last year, Emily became a full-time entrepreneur, leading this community with a digital reach of 15,000 diverse women.
Through her network, Emily has produced 20 sold-out events including Startup & Slay, the series for diverse female entrepreneurs sponsored by CIBC. These events attract women from across North America and beyond, with up to 400 guests from Olympians to CEOs. Most recently, Emily hosted a women’s roundtable with Canada’s Prime Minister.
Previously, Emily was a senior communications officer at CBC, one of Canada’s largest media companies. In 2017, she created HERstory in Black, a digital photo series featuring 150 inspiring black women. The project earned national press coverage, became a 1-hour TV documentary, lead to an unprecedented celebration and won CBC’s President’s Award.
Emily was named to WXN’s Top 100 Canada’s Most Powerful Women list in the inaugural Mercedes-Benz Emerging Leaders category. She is profiled in the 100 Accomplished Black Canadian Women book, received the Ryerson University Alumni Achievement Award, was named a CivicAction DiverseCity Fellow and a member of BMW Foundation’s Responsible Leaders Network. Recently, she was one of 16 Canadians appointed to the national committee for Women Deliver, the world’s largest conference on the health, rights, and well-being of women and girls.
A frequent public speaker, Emily has lead conversations for United Nations Association in Canada, Economic Club of Canada, Twitter Canada, YWCA Canada, Lean in Canada, Maytree Canada and more. She has been profiled via the Globe and Mail, CBC’s Metro Morning, CTV, Flare, and Startup Here TO.
A graduate of Ryerson and York Universities, Emily holds degrees in journalism and music, and has studied public relations. She enjoys life in the city with her two young sons and husband.
Find her on Twitter or Instagram @howshehustles.
Awards & Honours:
- Winner – Ryerson University Alumni Achievement Award (2019)
- Winner – Women’s Executive Network Canada’s Top 100 Most Powerful Women Award in the Mercedes-Benz Emerging Leader Category (2018).
- Winner – 100 Accomplished Black Canadian Women (2018)
- Finalist – Notable Awards for Entrepreneur of the Year (2018)
- Winner – 10 Inspirational Women in Toronto Award – Soulful Image Magazine (2018)
- Honourable Mention – HERstory in Black – Radio Television Digital News Association Award (2018)
- Winner – President’s Award – CBC Broadcasting Corporation (2017)
- Nominee – Everyday Political Citizen – Samara Canada (2017)
- Winner – Regroupement Affaires Femmes (2017)
- Winner – Award of Excellence – Jerome Henry Foundation (2017)
- Winner – Women’s Courage Award – Endless Possibilities & Hope Foundation (2016)
- Winner – Women’s Empowerment Award – Black Canadian Awards (2015)
- Named – 100 Black Women to Watch – Canadian International Black Women’s Event (2015)
- Winner – Strength of A Woman Award – Women United Network (2015)
- Profiled – Luminato Mille Femmes Photo Exhibit of 1000 women in Toronto (2008)
- Winner – Canadian National Griot Award (2003)